The Co-ordinated Building Information (CBI) Classification System is used by Masterspec and forms the backbone for the organisation of Masterspec sections. It provides, among other things, the 4 digit number for the Masterspec General sections and Work sections which in turn defines the sequence of sections and the structure of a specification.
In the last millennium when CBI was first developed, decks generally consisted of timber decking on timber framing or tiles (etc) on concrete. At the time this was easily specified in the Carpentry section or the Concrete and Tiling section. However in recent times, due to new products and code requirements, decks have become more varied, complex and sophisticated. CBI needed to catch up.
Decks have been sharing a very small space with roofing under the CBI category 438 Miscellaneous Roofing and Decking. But with the development of different forms of decking support/levelling systems and their ability to accept a bigger range of decking materials, decks needed their own identity and room to expand to encompass recent and future developments. With limited options to create a new CBI level 3 category under the existing level 2 category 43 Roofing and Decking, it became necessary to have a reshuffle and create a new level 3 category 438 Decking and deck systems and also, under it, 4381 Deck support systems.
The effect of this is that under the level 3 categories 434 to 438 there have been some changes of CBI numbers and consequently also Masterspec section numbers, plus a few changes to some CBI names (see below).
Please note, this does not affect conventional timber framing, concrete or tiling etc. - those categories and sections will remain as they are.
The following CBI changes have been made under category 43:
- 438 Decking and deck systems - was 438 Miscellaneous roofing and decking
- 4381 Deck support systems - was 4381 Louvred roofing
- 4382 (not used) - was 4382 Pneumatic roof covering
- 4383 Timber decking - existing to remain
- 4384 Decking - existing to remain (non-timber decking systems)
- 434 Slate roofing - rigid and fully supported - was 434 Slate roofing
- 4346 Fully supported thermoplastic or flexible plastics or rubber sheet slating - was 4373 Fully supported thermoplastic or flexible plastics or rubber sheet slating
- 4341 to 4344 - existing to remain
- 435 Shingle and shake roofing - rigid and fully supported - was 435 Shingle and shake roofing
- 4356 Fully supported fibre-reinforced asphalt shingle roofing - was 4371 Fully supported fibre-reinforced asphalt shingle roofing
- 4357 Fully supported built-up felt shingle roofing - was 4372 Fully supported built-up felt shingle roofing
- 4351 to 4355 - existing to remain
- 436 and 4361 to 4366 - existing to remain
- 437 Miscellaneous roofing - was 437 Fully supported sheet shingles and slates
- 4371 Louvred roofing - was 4381 Louvred roofing
- 4372 Pneumatic roof covering - was 4382 Pneumatic roof covering
The following Masterspec sections have been renumbered:
- 4346VE Viking ecostar roofing tiles - was 4373V Viking ecostar roofing tiles
- 4356 Asphalt shingle roofing - was 4371 Asphalt shingle roofing
- 4356VC Viking certainteed asphalt shingle roofing - was 4371VC Viking certainteed asphalt shingle roofing
- 4371LT Louvretec opening roofs - was 4381L Louvretec opening roofs
- 4381 Deck support system - was 4384 Deck support system
- 4381VB Viking buzon deck support system - was 4384VB Viking buzon deck support system
The following related Masterspec sections numbers and titles remain the same:
- 4351 Timber shingle roofing
- 4383 Timber decking
- 4383H Hermpac timber decking system
- 4384FM Forte Millboard® decking
- 4384I IPS composite decking
- 4384OQ OutDure Qwickbuild modular framing support system
- 4384P Permadeck composite decking